2008年7月29日星期二

Teaching




July 7
July 7, 2008….Monday
Lisa and I woke up at 5:30 and went for a walk. It was not so hot this AM and it was very interesting to see all the people (especially the older people) out in the park. Some were just walking, others doing some form of Tai Chei, and others were running or just sitting on the benches. We only walked about 20 minutes, just enough to get back in time to shower, eat breakfast in the hotel, and then be ready for the bus at 7:40.
We got to school about 8 AM. The teacher/helper came to our workroom to pick us up and took us to our room. My first room is room 107 where there were waiting 28 beautiful little children. I have never worked so hard in my life to put on a wild show to keep their attention. To truly understand the picture you have to visualize stark cement rooms, no room for cute things on the walls, uncarpeted rooms (which made them very loud) and then add to that the fact that the children looked at me like I was crazy and that they did not understand what I was talking about. Some of them are better behaved and more prepared than others. I have a morning class for 3 … 35 minute periods and then a 2 hour lunch break. Then I have a different class for 3 … 35 minute periods. By the time we got back my voice was going and I was so tired.

July 11, 2008
Another day of teaching. After the morning class, I was very discouraged. Today there were 31 kids and they were just awful. The sixth grades only have 16 in there classes…and those kids can understand English. It is so hard to get them to do anything when they just don’t understand what I say. They just talk over me. None of my tricks worked today and I just felt defeated. All my “song and dance” did not work. The afternoon class was much better however and I left feeling better.

没有评论: